At a time when everyone is stressing on the need for maintaining good health and its importance in improving the quality of life, few understand the significance of breathing quality indoor air to maintain good health. Most headaches, eye irritations, fatigue, and allergies are a result of the pollutants and chemicals that people inhale when indoors. As the majority of the time that people spend in the modern world is inside their residential and corporate set-up, it is important to keep a check over the air that we breathe when indoors. This makes indoor air quality testing an indispensable part of a healthy modern lifestyle. Only a few people understand air quality testing and monitoring as a concert. An understanding of the following points can help anyone to infer what the testing procedure actually is so that they can appreciate its significance in maintaining good health.
- One can understand indoor air quality testing as a process that determines the quality of air inside a room or a building, evaluate the efficacy of existing quality control programs, and identify the improvement required.
- The step that starts the testing process is surveying the type of building, the material used, ventilation system, a number of people operating or residing in it, the presence of polluting equipment, and the effectiveness of cleaning system in use. These are some crucial factors that indoor air quality depends upon.
- While testing, it is essential to consider multiple locations as the air distribution might not be even inside the building. So, testing at multiple locations improves the accuracy of the testing process, thereby getting a better insight into the situation and understanding of the underlying scenario.
- There are many methods that one can employ for testing depending upon the type of pollutant. The agencies that undertake the task of indoor air quality testing in Mumbai use equipment such as VOC meters, CO2 meters, SO2 meters, and Dusttrak. Some renowned firms also provide testing kits for indoor air quality that one can use for a complete analysis of bacteria, dust, mould, carcinogenic fibres and dander in addition to measurement of the humidity and temperature by simply performing the sampling as per the manual. One can then send these samples to the laboratory for generating the reports.
- The report is the single most crucial element that aids in deciding the future line of action. It includes details about the quality of air inside the building and provides recommendations about improving the quality in case of poor air quality. It helps in identifying the perfect equipment and machine that can help in maintaining the air quality and indoor air quality monitoring.
There are numerous benefits of indoor air quality monitoring and testing that are vital in maintaining good health of the residents and employees in any residential or corporate set-up. The monitoring data not only helps in assessing the impact of poor quality on public health but also helps in determining whether the quality control programmes in use are effective and efficient or not. It can also help in understanding the effect of air quality on the mortality rate of an area. This makes testing and monitoring an indispensable part of protection against hazardous diseases.